News Articles

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution - Saves Lives at Sea

News Articles

      OUT OF CONTROL JET-SKI INCIDENT. (26/10/2008) more...
        The RNLI lifeboat at Kinghorn was called to a Jet-Ski in trouble off Burntisland today. (26/10/2008)

      TAKE MORE ON BOARD! (23/09/2008) more...
        Kinghorn Crew volunteer to take even more on board!

      JOINT EMERGENCY SERVICE RESCUE (03/09/2008) more...
        The RNLI lifeboat at Kinghorn was called out to rescue a Creel boat which had lost power and was in danger of being dashed against the sea wall at Kirkcaldy yesterday (02/09/08).

        The Right Reverend David Lunan, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland visited Kinghorn today, and included a visit to the lifeboat station to meet the volunteer crews and staff.

      RNLI KINGHORN LIFEBOAT IN LAND RESCUE (11/08/2008) more...
        In its second call-out of the day, the volunteer crew of Kinghorn Lifeboat rescued a woman who had fallen and broken her ankle whilst out walking with friends.(Sunday 10/08/2008)

        A major Search and Rescue operation involving private vessels,RNLI lifeboats, Coastguard and a Rescue Helicopter from RAF Bulmer, swung into action this afternoon (09/08/2008).

      £3600 RAISED ON OPEN DAY (09/07/2008) more...
        Despite the poor weather on Saturday, the RNLI are £3600 better off, thanks to the fundraising efforts of the volunteers and crew of Kinghorn lifeboat, and the generosity of the Public who came along in their droves to support the event

      BOOMERANG WON'T COME BACK (28/06/2008) more...
        Despite having had only half the number of callouts this year as they had at this time last year, The RNLI lifeboat at Kinghorn was called out twice today, (Saturday 28/06/08). The first call was to rescue a disabled fishing boat called 'Boomerang' and the second was to assist one of the Powerboats 'Gutta boyz' taking part in the 2008 Round Britain Offshore Powerboat Race.

      SERIOUSLY INJURED CLIMBER RESCUED (09/02/2008) more...
        A climber who fell and was seriously injured at Hawk Craig Point, Aberdour this afternoon, (09/02/08) was airlifted to hospital in a joint rescue mission involving the RNLI lifeboat at Kinghorn, Scottish Ambulance Service and a Search and Rescue Helicopter from RAF Boulmer in Northumberland.

        The volunteer crew of “the busiest wee RNLI lifeboat in Scotland” were paged around 2.05pm this afternoon after the Coastguard had been requested by the Ambulance Service to assist in the rescue of an injured climber who was in an inaccessible part of the rocks on the shoreline.
        The lifeboat arrived on the scene within 15 minutes.

        Neil Chalmers, a member of the crew who attended, took up the story, “When we arrived on scene, we saw that a 41 year old man from the Bearsden area of Glasgow was lying at the base of the rocks having fallen 30 feet. He was seriously injured with a suspected broken pelvis, leg, arm, ribs and internal bleeding.”

        “We ferried an Ambulance paramedic to him and he remained conscious throughout his ordeal. It was obvious that he needed urgent medical treatment and given his remote position and the difficulty in extracting him safely, we decided to call for a Helicopter medevac.”

        “A helicopter from RAF Boulmer was requested and we were informed that it would arrive by 3.05pm. Whilst we were waiting, the tide was quickly rising and we had to move the casualty onto a spinal board and take him to above the high water mark, otherwise he would have been submerged.”

        The injured climber was conveyed by the Helicopter to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment.

        The crew on this occasion were helmsman Steve Currie, Mark Brown and Neil Chalmers, with Norman Soutar operating the launching tractor.

      NEW RESCUE RECORD HIGH (21/12/2007) more...
        The RNLI lifeboat at Kinghorn launched today on its 70th rescue call out of the year.

        This is a new record high number of 'shouts', with the previous record being only 57. With still 10 days of the year left, this could rise even further, as the volunteer crew have previously been involved in call outs during the festive season and are on stand-by 24/7, including Christmas day.

        Mike McErlane, helmsman of the inshore lifeboat, related today's rescue, "About 11.30am today (21/12/2007) we were paged to search for a small fishing vessel 'Solo' a 17 foot boat from West Wemyss, which had become disorientated and lost in the dense morning fog which covered the Forth. Workmen and the Park Warden at Ravenscraig park had heard calls for help coming from the sea and had contacted the Coastguard."

        "A search involving the RNLI lifeboat, helicopter and Coastguard crews was instigated and we were tasked to search from the car park at Pathhead Sands Kirkcaldy to Francis Colliery monument. The fog was reducing visibility to between 20 -30 feet and we had to keep stopping the engines and shouting to see if we received any reply. During the search my eyelashes and the 'a' frame of the boat froze up, it was unbelievably cold out there!."

        "Although we never heard him, as we arrived at the Francis Colliery, the Coastguard advised us that the Captain of a large ship "The Odyssey" at anchor in Kirkcaldy Bay had reported that the vessel had tied up to him, however the skipper had no radio, mobile phone or compass to enable him to make his own way back to the harbour. We contacted the fisherman and led him into West Wemyss Harbour as he was totally disorientated by the prevailing conditions and we eventually arrived back at Kinghorn around 2pm where a welcoming hot cuppa was waiting for us."

        Mike added" I would advise anyone contemplating going out on the sea in this kind of weather to make sure they have at least a compass to navigate by, as it was even difficult for an experienced crew such as I had, to navigate without the use of our GPS and compass system, and without it we would likely have been disorientated as well. I would always advise carrying flares and some means of communication, as you never know when you may break down or require the assistance of the Coastguard."

        The other crew involved in the rescue were Steve Currie and Joanne Wibberly. Shore Crew were Paul Wibberly and Billy McAndrew.

<<<Previous            Next>>>